The City of St. Albert, home to more than 64,000 residents, is a beautiful growing community adjacent to northwest Edmonton. In recent years, St. Albert has ranked at the top of several national surveys recognizing us as a great place to raise a family, with an excellent quality of life and a strong sense of community. With over 100 years of service to its credit, St. Albert Fire Services plays an integral role in shaping and serving our community by providing fire suppression, technical rescue and emergency medical services, hazardous materials mitigation, fire inspection, fire investigation, public education and fire dispatch to the City of St Albert.
The City of St. Albert has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, dynamic and progressive Fire Chief to join our organization. Reporting to the General Manager of Community and Protective Services, the Fire Chief will provide an integrated and holistic approach to planning and managing the department’s operations, programs, facilities and infrastructure. Serving as a member of the City’s Leadership Team, this position provides advice and reporting to City Council and the Senior Leadership Team regarding emergency services, fire prevention and any other department matters. The Fire Chief also serves as the Director of Emergency Management within the Emergency Operations Centre in the event of activation.
The Fire Chief oversees a complement of over 100 full-time staff in an integrated Fire/EMS service model, and provides direct supervision to three Deputy Chiefs. The individual we are recruiting is a strategic thinker and problem solver with sound judgement. They will work in partnership with the Deputy Chiefs and Union Executive to create a team driven, motivated and respectful workplace. The Fire Chief will foster an environment that promotes a culture of continuous improvement and ensures that the department’s long-term vision, mission and goals are achieved.
This position requires sound budgetary, business planning and project management skills. You must have thorough knowledge and understanding of all legislation, regulations, guidelines and best practices related to the operation of a municipal emergency services department.
- An undergraduate degree in a related field. A Masters degree is preferable. Considerable related experience combined with education may be considered as equivalent.
- A minimum 10 years of related senior management experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Incident Command Systems, emergency preparedness and businesses continuity planning.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to provide staff with vision and motivational direction in obtaining clearly defined goals.
- Highly developed business acumen with excellent planning and financial management skills.
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills with experience solving complex and sensitive issues.
- Fully conversant in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License.
HOURS OF WORK
This position works 40 hours per week (Monday to Friday, 8:00 – 5:00) and receives 1 Earned Day Off (EDO) per month.
$126,754 - $154,215 per annum. In addition, the City of St. Albert offers a comprehensive benefit package including a defined benefit pension plan.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain a satisfactory police information check.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their cover letter and resume via the City of St. Albert employment website
May 5, 2017